Keys to Problem Solving
We all encounter conflicts every day, in every relationship. Conflicts harm the relationship only when they are ignored. Instead of avoiding the difference, consider how to work through it. Try this technique at home the next time you disagree on a meal plan, vacation, or movie.
- Clearly state the facts
- Identify the core concern that is threatened by the situation
- Is the situation governed by a rule, policy or precedent?
- Propose alternative solutions
- Listen to your colleague’s analysis and core concern.
- Narrow the alternative to the one that seems to best meet the needs of both parties.
Implement, then re-evaluate.
Published on January 24, 2017